Town of Bay de Verde
PO Box 10 | 71-75 Route 70
Bay de Verde, Newfoundland & Labrador
Telephone: (709) 587-2260
Email: info@baydeverde.com
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Search Website
  • 1.jpg
  • 19.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 18.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg
  • 10.jpg
  • 11.jpg
  • 12.jpg
  • 13.jpg
  • 14.jpg
  • 15.jpg
  • 16.jpg
  • 17.jpg


Home > Community > Our History

Our History


Early History of Bay de Verde
Bay de Verde is located in Conception Bay, Newfoundland at 48 degrees 5 minutes North Latitude and 52 degrees 53 minutes West Longitude, near the extreme end of that land mass generally referred to as the Bay de Verde Peninsula or what is today known in Provincial Tourist Brochures as “The Baccalieu Trail”. This peninsula extends from the Trans Canada Highway in the west to Baccalieu Island in the east.

The name Bay de Verde is of Portuguese origin. It is an historical fact that Portuguese and Spanish explorers frequented the area during their era of great discoveries in the 15th and 16th centuries. The word ‘Verde’ in Portuguese simply means ‘green’, an obvious reference to the profusion of grass that grows there in the late spring and early summer. In John Guy's visit to Bay de Verde in 1612 when on his way from Cupids to Trinity Bay, he referred to it as ‘Greene Bay’. Being used as a fishing station by the Portuguese in the early 16th century, before the advent of the English, would make it one of the earliest sites of European activity in North America. Perhaps one of the earliest references to the Bay de Verde area is to Baccalieu Island which appears on Ruysch’s map of 1508. Ruysch was a cartographer who apparently had been on the first voyage of John Cabot to Newfoundland. Castaldi’s map of 1550 also records Baccalieu Island. Bay de Verde appears on Mason’s map of 1577. This map had apparently been copied from an English-Dutch map of an earlier time.

 The earliest documented inhabitant of Bay de Verde was Isaac Dethick who came here in 1662 from Placentia with his family and servants. Dethick was an English planter forced out of Placentia when the French took over that town. There is no doubt that there were settlers such as the Taverners already established at Bay de Verde when he arrived. Some 13 years later when Captain John Berry took an official census of the Conception Bay area, there were 95 inhabitants as well as 140 fishermen fishing at Bay de Verde from seven migratory fishing vessels for a total population of 235 people. Surprisingly, Isaac Dethick is not listed. Other family names at the time are Tobin, Smith and Hill. By 1682 the summer population was 278 and the winter population 121. Taverner, Smith and Hill families were still there as well as Ery, Jeffrey and Rollins. As can be seen the permanent population has made a quite substantial 20% increase over this seven year period.

 When the French began their devastating raids on the Avalon Peninsula in 1697 they found 90 good men at Bay de Verde. When you include women and children, there is no doubt the permanent population was close to 200 people. The raids under Pierre Le Moyne d’Iberville wreaked havoc among the established planters. Everything was destroyed or taken as war booty. Now came the difficult task of rebuilding what had been destroyed. This the settlers did and there was calm until another French raid in 1705 by M. Montigny saw equal devastation. This time many of the established planters had more than they could take. Some of them left and moved to more fortified locations like St. John’s and Trinity. In 1708 there were only 30 people at Bay de Verde.

 However, another group of settlers began to arrive after 1713 when the Treaty of Utrecht declared that Newfoundland was owned by Great Britain. The French were given fishing rights along the northeast coast. These new settlers now included Irish as well as English and although the English had more rights, the Irish began to establish themselves as well late in the 1700's. By 1753 the population of Bay de Verde was 128 comprised of 69 English and 59 Irish. The Plantation Book Records of 1804-5 show that the established planters were of English descent but the Irish were now beginning to obtain their share of property as well.



Bay de Verde History Timeline
1662 - Isaac Dethick settled at Bay de Verde after being deported from Placentia by the newly arrived French garrison.

1675 - There were seven families and their servants , numbering about 150 people total, occupying 11 rooms and stages in the harbour at this time.

1677 - Bay de Verde fishery produced 1,700 quintals of fish.

1693 - Bay de Verde fishery produced 4,450 quintals of fish.

1697 - The journal of Abbe Baudoin noted that "there were in this harbour fourteen settlers well established and ninety good men".

1714 - William Taverner, born at Bay de Verde, surveyed the south coast of Newfoundland for the English crown.

1729 - Bay de Verde became one of the six judicial districts created by Governor Henry Osborne.

1738 - Seventeen ships were engaged in the cod fishery.

1823 - Newfoundland School Society under the direction of Samuel Codner established its first free school.

1832 - John Lynch is teaching school in the Cooper shop of Timothy Dineen at Bay de Verde.

1838 - Northern Bay Roman Catholic Parish was established and Father Bernard Duffy began his ministry covering all of the North Shore including Bay de Verde .

1839 - First Church of England denominational school is established by the Newfoundland School Society and run by William Pippy..

1841 - Church of England wardens James Norris and William Barter established the Anglican Parish.

1843 - School master John Morrissey began a Roman Catholic denominational school.

1846 - Reverend John Roberts was appointed to the Church of England mission of Grates Cove - Bay de Verde.

1847 - Oliver Rouse arrived to take over the Anglican Parish and its missions.

1870 - The newly constituted Road Board began to establish roads.

1872 - Road was completed to Red Head Cove, Grates Cove and Old Perlican.

1880 - Roman Catholic Parish of the Assumption was established with Reverend Gregory Battcock as priest.

1881 - First telegraph line from Carbonear to Bay de Verde was established.

1891 - St. Barnabas Anglican Church was completed.

1892 - Construction began on Assumption Parish Roman Catholic Church.

1902 - Thomas Moore began to operate one of the first lobster canning plants in the community.

1911 - Fisherman’s Protective Union Store was opened.

1916 - Railway branchline from Carbonear to Bay de Verde was completed.

1929 - Electricity was turned on for the first time.

1932 - Railway branchline was shut down.

1946 - The Fisherman's Co-operative Society was established.

1950 - Patrick Noonan became the first mayor of Bay de Verde’s Town Council, which was established in July to provide services, including a municipal water supply system. Council rendered inactive in the next year.

1954 - Maurice and Patrick Quinlan bought out the business of James F. O'Neill.

1967 - St. Joseph’s Central High School opened.

1967 - Quinlan Brothers fish plant operated six of the twelve longliners fishing from the community processing cod and turbot. During peak season the plant employs over 300 people from Bay de Verde and surrounding communities.

1973 - Tricon Elementary School opened.

1975 - The Bay de Verde Town Council was reactivated after twenty-five years of dormancy.

1992 - The Cod fishery was closed down by the Federal Government of Canada. Crab and shrimp fishery continued to be successful at Bay de Verde.

1999 - The Bay de Verde Heritage House and Baccalieu Island Exhibit was officially opened.

1999 - The last child born in the 20th century in Bay de Verde was Nicolas Curl.

2002 - St. Joseph's Central High School closed.

2004 - The Town of Bay de Verde won the 'Tidy Towns Award' in its population category.

2009 - Bay de Verde's Heritage Committee was presented with the Award of Merit from the Museum Association of Newfoundland & Labrador.

2010 - Bay de Verde's Heritage Committee was presented with the Manning Award in the Community Category.



Click any link below for more community related information:

Business
   Business Directory
   Fishery
   Processing Plant
   Harbour Authority
Events Calendar
Waste Disposal
Churches
Schools
Notable People
In Memoriam
Cemeteries
Town of Bay de Verde
Tel: (709) 587-2260
Fax: (709) 587-2049
PO Box 10 | 71-75 Route 70
Newfoundland & Labrador A0A 1E0
Email: info@baydeverde.com
"A Town with a View"
Settled 1662 | Incorporated 1950


Website created by Glacier Cove Web Design
© Copyright 2017 Town of Bay de Verde
Website Administration   |   Newsletter Unsubscribe