Anglican Church of Bay de Verde
Tel: (709) 587 2211
History: According to Don Barter in his book ‘Surviving on the Headland’, construction of the first Church of England church in Bay de Verde began in 1821. However, when Oliver Rouse arrived in August of 1847, it was in such poor condition that he immediately set about putting the wheels in motion to begin building a new church. The second St. Barnabas Church was located some distance to the east of the old one in the general area of where the Anglican Church is today on Church Hill. It was completed in 1856 and consecrated by Bishop Field on November 25, 1857.
In 1886, construction began on the third St. Barnabas Church under the tenure of Reverend William How. It was located just to the east of the old existing church on a piece of land purchased from Edward Cotter. Although some wages were paid, most of the work on the church was done free labor by the parishioners. Reverend How left in 1890 and the task of completing the new church was left to his successor Reverend Frank Smart. The new St. Barnabas Church was consecrated by Bishop Jones on May 12, 1891.
Roman Catholic Church of Bay de Verde
Tel: (709) 587 2554
History: The first church built by the Roman Catholics in Bay de Verde was constructed about 1810 under the tenure of Father Thomas Ewer who was parish priest at Harbour Grace. It was located north of the present day church in the Old Chapel Rock Cemetery.
In 1896 construction began on the present church under the tenure of Father Joseph V. Donnelly who had become parish priest in 1883 just three years after Bay de Verde had become a parish. The new church was built just to the south of the old church on land donated by James Noonan. Because of the unique architecture of Father Donnelly’s church plans, three master carpenters were hired for its construction. They were James O’Neill and John Brady from Bay de Verde and Thomas Hogan from Northern Bay.
Parishioners also gave freely of their labor when needed. The new Church of the Assumption was ready for use in 1897 and was officially consecrated by Bishop McDonald in 1903.