In 1949 (shortly after Confederation), several of Bay de Verde’s more far-sighted and civic-minded individuals who had grown up with the perpetual problem of lack of water, decided to approach the newly elected Newfoundland government to discuss the possibility of obtaining a water supply for the community. The result was the appointment of the first Town Council in 1950. However, having the basics of a municipal structure thrust upon them so suddenly, and not fully understanding how it would benefit the community, some residents began to vigorously oppose it. As a result, in 1951 the struggling council disbanded without ever having fulfilled any of its objectives.
By the mid 1970’s, the civic and social structure of Bay de Verde had changed. A new drive began to obtain the same services that other towns in Newfoundland were already enjoying. In January of 1975, a new town council was elected and Bay de Verde was on its way to developing into the modern town that it is today. A municipal tax structure was put in place, water and sewer projects began, a volunteer fire department was formed, new street lighting was installed and many of the roads were paved.